Sometimes you just crave a little bit of chocolate and we found these wonderful vegan and gluten free marshmallows by Vidal called Veggie Mallow over the weekend. So of course we felt inspired to create a S’mores Baked Oats recipe.
For anyone who doesn’t know a s’more is a popular campire treat across the US and Canada, essentially you take two graham crackers like a cross between a rich tea and a digestive biscuit. You then stick a marshmallow on a skewer and toast it over the camp fire, once toasted you add a square or two of chocolate to one square of graham cracker, add your toasted marshmallow to the top of that and then sandwich together with another graham cracker square and squish down so that the heat of the toasted marshmallow melts the chocolate.
- 40g Oat Pantry Oats (we’d recommend either Maple & Pecan or Cinnamon & Raisin)
- 3/4 tsp of baking powder
- 3/4 tbs of your sweetener of choice
- 1 egg or chia/flaxseed egg (1 tbsp of flaxseeds/chia seeds + 2.5 tbsp water, leave to soak for 15 mins)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (100g) of plain yoghurt of your choice
- 2 dark chocolate squares
- 4 Veggie Mallows
- spray oil or coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius (gas mark 5)
- Add the Oat Pantry oats, baking powder and sweetener of your choice into a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add in the egg/chia/flaxseed egg, yoghurt, vanilla extract and mix until combined thoroughly.
- Grease oven proof dish with spray oil or coconut oil.
- Add half the oat mixture to the dish.
- Push down into the middle the 2 x veggie mallows and top with a dark chocolate square.
- Add the other half of the mixture on top.
- Push down into the top another 2 x veggie mallows and another square of dark chocolate.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 mins, until lightly golden.