This recipe makes a super moist and delicious banana bread. For this recipe we used our Oat Pantry Maple & Pecan Porridge Oats, to give a twist on a classic banana bread. But the best bit about this recipe is you can experiment with the flavour using our different flavours of porridge oats. Imagine a Carrot Cake Banana Bread or Cinnamon & Raisin!
• 3 medium, very ripe bananas (mashed)
• 1 medium ripe banana (optional for decoration on the top, needs to be just firm enough to slice lengthways)
• ¼ cup melted coconut oil
• ¼ cup coconut sugar
• ¼ cup pure maple syrup
• 2 flax eggs/chia eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water, whisk together, set for 15 mins)
• ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 ¾ cups gluten free Oat Pantry oat flour – made by blending our Oat Pantry Maple & Pecan Porridge down until fine
• 1 ¼ cups gluten free Oat Pantry Maple & Pecan Porridge Oats
• 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (we would leave this out if you are using Cherry Bakewell or Choc Orange Porridge)
• Handful of pecans for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a loaf pan with baking paper or grease it. Set aside.
2. Peel bananas and add to a large mixing bowl. Using a fork, mash bananas until smooth.
3. Add the oil, sugar, maple syrup, flax/chia eggs, milk and vanilla. Whisk until well mixed.
4. Add the oat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Whisk together, making sure no flour patches remain. Fold in some of the pecans.
5. Pour into prepared loaf pan, smooth batter into an even layer, with the shape of a rise down the center— like a loaf. Optionally, sprinkle with left over pecans and add the extra banana for decoration (sliced down the middle).
Lightly press toppings into the loaf.
6. Bake for 55-60 mins. We covered ours with tin foil for half the time to stop it browning too quickly.
7. Test it’s done by sticking a toothpick into the center of the loaf. The toothpick will come out clean-ish.
8. Allow to cool on a cooling rack for 1 hour.
8. Slice and enjoy!