It’s slightly tangy, not too sweet and just perfect to enhance breakfast oats.
The great thing about this recipe is you can use frozen cherries when fresh cherries are out of season, so you can enjoy this topper all year round.
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cherries, pitted
- 3 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- A pinch each of salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon to taste
- In a sauce pan, add the cherries, coconut sugar, lemon, and spices. When the cherries have defrosted (if using frozen) over high heat, bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer the cherries until they become thick, with a texture more like syrup; this can take about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and serve over your prepared Oat Pantry overnight oats, we’d highly recommend using our Cherry Bakewell Porridge Oats for this. You can also tub up any excess compote and store in the fridge for a couple of days for future use.