If you’ve never had overnight oats, they’re essentially a no-cook version of making porridge. So, instead of cooking porridge on the hob or in the microwave, you soak the raw porridge oats with milk, plant-based milks or even yoghurt. The soaking process allows the oats to absorb the liquid and soften them enough to eat uncooked. You only need to let the oats soak and rest in the fridge for 2 hours. But, it’s ideal if you soak them overnight…hence the name overnight oats!
The next morning you wake up to a delicious, ready-to-eat, creamy jar of overnight oats. The consistency is like a porridge or pudding. It makes for an easy convenient breakfast that has a more dense and creamy texture than warm porridge.
The Benefits of Overnight Oats
- Oats are loaded with good-for-you nutrients like fibre, protein, magnesium, potassium, and omega 3 fatty acids, among other things.
- As a rich source of fibre, they help you feel fuller longer.
- Oats are high in a specific kind of fibre called beta glucan, which is linked to lowering cholesterol levels and overall heart-health.
- There are endless ways to be creative: You can fix overnight oats in dozens of different ways, so it never gets boring. This is also a great way to add even more nutrition to your already healthy breakfast oats. Try adding things like nuts/nut butters, berries, fresh or dried fruits, chia seeds, yoghurt, cacao nibs, protein powder! Get creative and have fun!
- You will never make unhealthy breakfast choices again: If you always keep some overnight oats soaking and ready, even if you’re running behind schedule you can so easily grab that jar of oats and a spoon, and you’re off! No more temptation to grab something less healthy or more pricey while out and about
How to Make Overnight Oats
- Add 40g of Oat Pantry Porridge Oats into a jar (we have these great clip top overnight oats jars available on our website here).
- Pour 100ml of your liquid of choice, whether that be milk, plant-based milk, yoghurt (you can even do a 50/50 split of milk and yoghurt) over the oats.
- Place the lid on the jar and leave to soak in the fridge overnight.