These oat bars are very simple to make and are great for this time of year, especially if you’ve just been apple picking!
Makes 12-16 bars.
- 4 medium apples, (peeled, cored, finely diced)
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1/4 cup / 85g coconut sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups / 200g Oat Pantry Maple & Pecan Porridge oats
- 2 ½ cups / 375g all-purpose flour or gluten free flour alternative (e.g. oat flour, coconut flour)
- 1 cup / 170g coconut sugar
- 1 cup / 227g melted vegan butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the apples and place to one side.
- Line a 12 x 9.5 pan with parchment paper.
- Now to make the delicious crumble. Mix the oats, flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, and ground cinnamon together in a bowl. Pour in the melted vegan butter and combine until you have a sandy/crumble like texture.
- Press two-thirds of the crumble mixture into the prepared pan. Press it down tightly.
- Top with the apple mixture and sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over the top of the apple. Bake for 50-60 minutes. We find baking for 30 minutes with silver foil over the top and then removing for the final minutes help to stop the top over browning.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack for at least 30 mins to cool. Once cooled you can also place them into the fridge for a short period of time to make it easier to cut into slices.